Monday, March 30, 2020

Week 345: Peanut butter pie

We have made it through week 2 of "safer at home." I cannot claim that we made it through with an over-abundance of grace or style, but here we are. The kids had some ups and downs this week as they tried to make sense of this strange new life of ours. They don't quite miss school, but they do definitely miss doing all the things they are used to doing.













Papa Bear and I are continuing to try to adapt as well. Having both of us working from home all the time is strange, and juggling the kids while trying to get any amount of work done is a big challenge. And, not only are we supposed to juggle them, but we are also now supposed to teach them. Or, at least, guide them through whatever materials their teachers have provided. They are both young enough that the online stuff just doesn't really work for them. There are a couple of apps that Lemon will dig into for a few minutes at a time. Lime is already kind of over screen time, and will ask repeatedly if it is time to stop watching videos yet. We may need to teach him to read. At least the weather is getting nicer.

From the CF perspective, things seem pretty good at the moment. Lemon's cough is almost completely gone, and since we're stuck at home anyhow we've been doing 3 treatments per day. I am still waiting to connect with the new doctor about our long term plan. He called me on Thursday but I missed the call, and of course I can't just call back, I have to wait til he calls again. I guess he prefers the phone to email, which I understand, but on the other hand the phone does require both parties to be available at the same time, which can be a challenge. Hopefully we'll connect soon, since we are almost at the end of Lemon's course of antibiotics, and we need to know what our next move is.








In the mean time, we're just doing what everyone else is doing, trying to maintain some kind of sense of normalcy in the face of all the fear and uncertainty around COVID-19. We're trying all the usual distractions, doing puzzles, reading books, watching movies, doing yard work, and of course baking. I made probably the most midwestern thing I have ever made in my life, a chocolate peanut butter pie from the Norske Nook cookbook. People, this pie contained both Cool Whip and chopped Reese's peanut butter cups. I may need some of you to come conduct an intervention when this is all over. On the other hand, Lemon absolutely adores it, so it looks like I may be making it again.