Monday, September 23, 2019

Week 318: Joke

It really does feel like a joke. One of those jokes that is not especially funny the first time, and becomes progressively less funny with each retelling. Like "Ha ha, the nanny quit, we are scrambling." As of today, we are on our second round of this particular joke within the space of a month, and it is emphatically not funny.









The new nanny worked 2 full afternoons, then decided that having just moved here, she had taken on too many hours and needed to work less for a few weeks. So, I scrambled a bit and arranged things so that she could work half the originally scheduled number of hours until she got more settled. That seemed to be fine. And then she texted me this morning telling me that Friday will be her last day. FANTASTIC. The kids weren't even that bad to her! In fact, this afternoon they both fell asleep on the couch. So, I certainly can't blame them this time around. Just bad luck I suppose. That doesn't really help me with the fact that Papa Bear and I both really, really need to be able to work a full week next week.





Thus, I have spent my copious free time today reactivating our ads on the various child-care finding places on the interwebs, and emailing a few semi-stale candidates that we had from one of our old posting, to see if any of them are still looking. But, seriously, this is getting old. And, I really don't like having a revolving cast of characters coming through the house. We all need some stability in our lives, especially the kids, who are now a little confused about who is coming to take care of them and when. Me too guys, me too.

In non-childcare news, everything seems more or less fine. Lemon's cough lingered for several days but seems to have abated on its own. He did have some kind of weird virus or something over the weekend that gave him a bit of a fever, and when he woke up in the morning, in his words, "my eyebrows hurt!" (ie, he had a headache). But, the magic of ibuprofen and ginger ale was enough to restore him and it seems to have passed now.











Lime seems to have gotten used to his longer (5 hour) school days, and boy am I ever glad that I signed him up for the 5 hours given everything else that's been going on. He can recognize many letters and numbers and generally seems to be having a good time. Now, if we could only find someone who was willing to accept (a lot!) of money to hang out with him after school, we'd really be in business!

In the interest of maintaining sanity, Papa Bear and I went out on a date on Saturday night (Book of Mormon!), and I ran a race on Sunday morning. So, at least a couple of things went right this week. Now, we just have to figure out next week and we will be all set!