Monday, September 16, 2019

Week 317: Rubicon

If there's one thing that's even more fun than searching for childcare normally, it's searching for childcare in a hurry. Luckily (?), our first nanny gave notice after such a short stint with us that I still had a couple of active leads from the search that lead us to her. I reached out to them and found a taker, a nice lady named Michelle who drove a school bus for the past 14 years. I am hopeful, though it remains to be seen, that she has the necessary fortitude to handle my offspring. Today was her first day and she when she left it did seem like she would be back tomorrow, although she definitely looked a bit tired. She does share an aspiration with the boys, though: it is her goal to learn to drive a dump truck. So, she may be a kindred spirit.

Having spent all of my available logistics time last week trying to set up childcare for this week, I have not yet had time to look into counseling for Lemon, although that is one of my aspirational goals for this week. In the meanwhile, it does seem like he's settled down at least a little from peak difficult last week to more normal-range difficult this week. Of course, Lime, ever the observant brother, has decided to adopt a few of the more charming difficult behaviors himself. It's great fun.




And, of course, it would not be September without a quick preview of the season that is yet to come. That is to say, Lemon has his first cough of this year's cough season. It started on Friday afternoon but really came into its own yesterday and last night. Today it seems incrementally better, though, so I am somewhat optimistic that this one will just run its own course. Still, it does fill the pit of my stomach with dread to hear him coughing in his sleep, since the memory of all the trouble that can bring is still very fresh.


Which reminds me (and is as good a time as any for me to remind you all) that flu shot season is upon us. Please go get your shot! Lemon will be getting his at his physical in a couple of weeks, and I suppose I'll have to arrange a time to bring Lime out to get his as well. In any event, remember to protect yourself and all the lovely people around you as fall turns into winter. Lime, ever my Sconnie boy, asks on a daily basis when it is going to snow. And although I love winter too, I am happy for fall to linger on for a while yet!