Monday, August 11, 2014

Week 51: Two on the bottom

We had a wonderful week this week, featuring a special visit from one of my oldest and dearest friends.  She and I haven't lived in the same place for a very long time, but after over two decades of friendship, it's pretty easy to pick up right where you left off.  Lemon and I met her at the train station, where Lemon got to experience the rush of a freight train going by just 20 feet away.  Then, we did all sorts of fun things including a trip to a beautiful local winery (yes, you read that correctly, a local winery here in Wisconsin) where we did a tasting and took in some lovely scenery.  Lemon particularly admired the gravel.
















We also hit the iconic Memorial Union, where you can eat local ice cream and drink local beer with a view of Lake Mendota.  Lemon really could have cared less about the refreshments or the view, however, because while we were there, he discovered his latest obsession: stairs.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a child who got half his genes from my side of the family would be immediately addicted to climbing things.



















In addition to the stairs, Lemon has finally figured out how to push his trusty cart, preferably in the uphill direction.
The last couple of days, Lemon has been a little grumpy and feverish as he's leaving one of my favorite developmental stages behind.  I refer, of course, to the six-toothed stage (four on top, two on the bottom).  He has two more teeth that have almost broken through on the bottom, and for the trouble his mouth is giving him at the moment it seems the rest of his baby teeth can't be far behind.  Of course I'm thrilled by all this progress, but some small part of me is reluctant to say goodbye to babyhood--it went by so fast, and I can't believe there are only 8 more days of it!