Monday, April 27, 2020

Week 349: Remote

Is it me, or is the memory of how we used to live fading a little bit? I ventured out today to do some grocery shopping, and I felt like I could recall a time where I didn't shop as though I wasn't planning to leave the house again for a month. And a time where not everyone at the store wore a mask and stayed as far as possible from everyone else. And a time where the cashier wasn't behind a plexiglass barricade. I feel like I can remember all those things. And yet, also, it seems so distant now.
I definitely remember the kids going to school, but I think they feel about school the way I do about the grocery store. They have some vague notion that school used to be a thing that happened, but it seems distant and unimaginable now. I'm lucky that they are both perfectly happy being home all the time. They have all their toys, books, and art supplies. They have our yard, and their bikes. For them, it seems like a slightly odd summer vacation started a couple of months early. They play their little hearts out and get absolutely filthy every day, sleep hard, and get up ready to do it all again the next day. Our house has experienced some wear and tear, but perhaps on some unimaginable day in the future we will be able to have some of the damage repaired.
We've hit a couple more isolation milestones this week. Our hair trimmer arrived, so I gave Lemon and Papa Bear their first home haircuts. We made our own iced chocolate donuts, which I think provided the kids with further evidence that we may never need to leave the house again. We made a bunch of progress on setting up our new and expanded vegetable garden.

This Friday we have our first telehealth visit with the new doctor. Lemon is continuing to do well, so I think the only real question we have to address with him is what to do in lieu of azithromycin. We wanted to start it to control the inflammation in Lemon's lungs, but at this point even the doctor is willing to concede that Lemon is allergic to it and that it is not an option for us right now. If we really wanted to at some point down the road, we could try to desensitize Lemon, but that sounds like a project for another time. So, if we can't use azithromycin, we would like to know what our other options are.
 Other than that, we are enjoying the ever-improving weather, and trying to imagine what our summer will look like. Somehow, I suspect a lot like our life right now, except maybe a bit hotter. We'll see.