Monday, April 20, 2020

Week 348: Boston strong

Another week in this weird life. The kids continue to more or less take things in stride, and with the official announcement that schools will remain closed through the end of the academic year, I guess that's just as well. We are still trying to get the hang of the different online learning tools and apps and classrooms and Zoom and all the rest. We do have something resembling a school routine, at least in so far as that we reserve the hour between 8-9 for trying to coax the kids into doing some of the things that their teachers have set up for them, and then more or less forget about it for the rest of the day. I do periodically feel guilty about not doing everything, but I also feel like they are so young, and all of this is so strange to them. I still hold out hope that normal school will resume some day, and they can get caught up then.I suppose we'll see where the world is in September and take it from there.

Meanwhile, we're on our second go-around with our friend azithromycin. Or, I should say, we were on our second go around. Lemon did the entire "allergy test" portion of the azithromycin ramp-up with no problems. But, then, about a week after starting on the same dose (ie pretty much the same timing as last time), he got a bright red rash on his belly and legs again.So, I don't know what conclusion could possibly be drawn other than that he is reacting to the drug. Trust me, he hasn't been exposed to anything else weird in the past 10 days or so, we've barely left the property! I took a few pictures and will send them over to the doctor to see what he thinks we should do now. Let's just say Lemon's interest in a third attempt at this are approximately zero, and I can't say that I blame him. Of course, I'm not sure where that leaves us in terms of getting the inflammation in his lungs under control. Hopefully the doctor will have some other ideas.

As some of you know, I was supposed to run the Boston Marathon today. In the grand scheme of everything that is going on in the world, it's a small thing to have the race cancelled. There will be more trips to Boston some day, and more races to run. I am still disappointed to not have run it today, and more importantly, to have missed the chance to see and celebrate with all my Boston people. This week, we also made the tough decision to cancel our summer trip to the east coast. We didn't see any way that we would be comfortable putting Lemon (or the rest of us, for that matter) on a plane in July, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that 2021 will be a different kind of year for everyone.

Hope all of you are staying well, and we'll see you just as soon as we can.