Monday, November 4, 2019

Week 324: Georgia on my mind

Yet another big week in our household, featuring Halloween followed by my quick trip down to Savannah, GA to run yet another marathon. I'm pleased to report that everything went well, thanks in no small part to Papa Bear who was both chief costume engineer and also managed to keep the household running smoothly in my absence.







Mother nature did try to throw a little bit of a curve ball into our Halloween by dumping 5" of snow on the ground in the preceding days. But, we Sconnies are made of pretty solid stock, and besides, the need for candy trumps cold weather any day of the week as far as certain residents of my household appear to believe.

We had hoped to just do 10 days of Cayston this time around, but I felt that at 10 days we were still not all the way back to Lemon's winter baseline, so we kept up through day 14. I'm feeling good now that that was the right call, because after 14 days we really are back at baseline, no more coughing at night. Hooray!

 I also got to see one of the cutest little moments played out in the nurse's office for several days last week. I would pull Lemon in to the office as he left the cafeteria, and during the second week of Cayston another little girl from Lemon's class was also stopping at the nurse's office after lunch to do an inhaler. Every day, he would wait for her to finish her inhaler and then the two of them would walk back to class together like little breathing buddies.I think it made him feel like the whole thing was so much more normal, since someone else from his class was doing it too.










I can also report that Savannah is a really cool city. I had high hopes for the trip after reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" (recommend, if you haven't yet) and Savannah did not disappoint. It has amazing trees and parks, tons of history, a river, and a pretty darned nice marathon course if you're so inclined. I'm really glad I made the trip, and also really glad, after a few weeks of non-stop travel,not to be traveling again until 2020!