Monday, July 22, 2019

Week 309: Personal growth

After a quick trip to Minneapolis last week, I got right back into the swing of things on Wednesday morning with Lime's 4-year-old check-up. Quite amazingly, this is his first contact with the medical establishment since his 3-year-old check-up. I am pleased to report that Lime's growth has picked up tremendously, insofar as he is now 11th percentile for height instead of 6th. His pediatrician was particularly pleased to note that he is now in the 28th percentile for weight, so a true giant among the smaller-than-average. Other than that, there were no remarkable findings. He received two shots, the administration of which required all four of my limbs as well as all four of those belonging to the medical assistant. The sound track went something like this: "No no no no OWW OWW THAT HURTS <pause> can I have a sticker now?" And that was it.

Lemon has been doing really well at his new summer camp. I assume he's getting his enzymes with meals and snacks, although it is hard to tell since he is reluctant to talk about anything that happened during the day, much less details about his care. So, I am forced to go by the metrics I can evaluate, which are poop and weight gain. Both appear OK at the moment so I am taking that as evidence enough. I actually haven't weighed him since we came back from our vacation so I should have him hop on the scales at some point. But, I can tell just by looking at him that he has that wonderful summer fleshiness about him that will be our saving grace come fall.

We had a fun family weekend doing the usual things around Madison, a fireman's block party including a ride up in the ladder of a ladder truck, and a trip to the zoo. Both kids apparently had so much fun over the weekend that they were reluctant for the week to get going again, and did not want to be left at their respective camps this morning. Meanwhile, I think Papa Bear and I might have been secretly relieved to retreat to the relative peace and solitude of our respective offices. Not that we didn't have fun over the weekend, mind you, but man those kids have a lot of energy. I wonder where they got that from (in other news, my father is on a multi-week hiking trip in the Alps and I ran 18 miles on Sunday...).








It definitely feels nice to settle into some kind of routine after all this traveling around. None of us are going anywhere until mid August, so it will be nice to have a few weeks of just going to camp and work and doing things around town. Lest things should get too dull, a couple of kids from Lemon's camp were sent home with head lice today. Not from Lemon's group, and he was checked and doesn't have them, but it's still enough to cause raging paranoia and itching!