Monday, March 18, 2019

Week 291: Mud

The spring thaw has finally begun, bringing with it the unparalleled thrill of mud. Everywhere. At all times. I feel very fortunate to have my trusty new washing machine by my side during these early spring days.

On Thursday, Lime had his make-up dentist appointment, so I think appointment-wise both kids are now more or less caught up with where they were supposed to be a month ago. Lime handled the dentist pretty well, although there is a pretty clear difference in comfort level between Lemon who has basically had some medical something or another once every month or two versus Lime who has been to the pediatrician once a year and the dentist twice in his life. Lime is deeply suspicious and a bit nervous, but amenable to bribes. Lemon is suspicious but not fearful, has a pretty good sense of what is about to happen, and demanding of payment for his cooperation.

Speaking of teeth, Lemon's loose tooth continues to cling by a thread. I think he is actually a bit nervous about it falling out. I'm leaving for a quick work trip tomorrow morning so I'm kind of hoping it hangs on for another 48 hours, I'd be sad to miss the big moment after all of this.

This weekend, we had an all too brief visit from Uncle Jared--so brief in fact that it appears that no one managed to capture a decent photograph of him, but I'm pretty sure he was here, just in a constant state of motion as his nephews put him through his paces.






Lemon had another episode of anxiety about his weight this week, so I tried a new strategy: I showed him his own growth chart. I explained to him about the concept of "staying on your curve," and showed him where his curve was. We looked at all the height measurements he's had since he was 2, and how they all fall on his curve. That really seemed to reassure him that he was on track, after all. Even at an early age, it seems like the best way to comfort a scientist is with more data.