Monday, October 22, 2018

Week 270: Even Though You're Old

On the way home from school today, Lemon informed me, "Ma, I love you, even though you're old." This leads me to believe that so far, my 40's have been a success.
















In terms of other successes, Facebook reminded me that today is actually an important day in our history: two years ago today, Lemon was discharged from the hospital. And we haven't been back!!! Memory is funny, some things from two years ago I have a hard time remembering. But the hospitalizations? No. Those are seared into my mind. And I can't believe we've been out for two years. What a gift/our hard work has gotten us somewhere.

In terms of where we stand now, things seem relatively stable today (I know better than to speak in generalities that cover anything besides the present moment). We are on day 9 of Cayston, and Lemon's cough is minimal. I can't say that he's at true baseline, which is no cough, but I do feel reasonably comfortable saying that he is at "winter baseline," which is a little sniffle and a couple of coughs a day. We added in Flovent again, just to see if tamping down any inflammation that had arisen during a straight month of being sick could help at all. The answer on that so far is, who knows?

What I can say is that since we started Cayston, Lemon has packed back on 2.5 of the 5lb that he lost. His appetite has been good and I may or may not be sneaking in 8 scoops of DuoCal into the overnight feed instead of our prescribed 6. Since we're at "winter baseline" and we've got weight going in the right direction again, we're planning to stop the Cayston after tomorrow (10 days). I think the shortest we've done previously was 14 days, although our nurse practitioner did tell us that 10 would be reasonable if he seemed well at 10 days. All this is off-label anyhow so there aren't any firm rules. In this case, we have some pretty strong external pressure to stop at 10 days, which is that I'm going to be in 3 states other than Wisconsin in the next two weeks, and with me being out of town it is pretty tough to maintain the 3 times daily dosing that Cayston requires. So, cross your fingers for us, everyone.

In non-health news, we had a great visit this weekend with Uncle Jared and Auntie Lauren. We were having so much fun, in fact, that it appears that I completely neglected to take any pictures with them. It's a pretty kinetic situation when they're in the same place as the kids. They did bring the boys a couple of new toys, including a very popular bus that has been the subject of many heated ownership debates. I would tell you more about it, but I'll leave it to Lemon (and his teacher, who advised that kids should be encouraged to read words that they care about).