Monday, September 3, 2018

Week 263: Teenage dream

Wow. We definitely got maximum mileage out of the last week of summer. At the beginning of the week, we were still in Lake Geneva with Grandma and Grandpa. While there, we took the kids out to dinner at restaurants twice and lived to tell the tale (barely). We came back here to Madison on Wednesday afternoon, and enjoyed one last day in Madison before the grandparents flew back to New York on Friday morning. We all had a great time and hopefully they will be back to see us soon. Luckily/miraculously, whatever cough Lemon had managed to resolve on its own, with just one or two extra sessions on the vest to help clear it out. Phew.























We had two fairly normal family days on Friday and Saturday, after Grandma and Grandpa left. Then early Sunday morning I left the house to go to the airport for a (very) quick trip to New York for a cousin's wedding. It still strikes me as a bit ridiculous/decadent to go to New York for less than 24 hours, but I did really want to go to the wedding. I've missed the last 3 cousin weddings due to variously being too pregnant, having the kids be either too young or too sick for me to travel, or just living too far away to travel to them easily. So this wedding was really four weddings worth of family celebrations in one for me. And oh my, I had forgotten just how easy it is to travel solo compared to traveling with the whole entourage! It was great to see so many people that I've known my whole life but not seen for so many years, even if it was just for one evening, and to be there for a really joyous wedding. Then this morning I got up at the crack of dawn to fly back to Wisconsin, and here I am.






























Kindergarten starts tomorrow. I still don't quite believe it, but in just under 12 hours I will be dropping Lemon off for his first day. After all that advance planning and meeting the teacher and everything, do we have a plan in place for enzymes yet? Thanks for asking, and no, no we don't, or at least not that I know about. I'm just going to bring a bottle of them with me when I go to drop Lemon off, and we'll see what the story is. Anyhow, both kids are in solid form for their first days: Lemon drew all over his arm and face with a purple marker while I was away, although luckily I was able to get about 60% of it off in the bath tub this evening, so he will only be lightly stripey when he meets his new friends. Lime, meanwhile, did some sort of new gymnastic maneuver in his bed early this morning that resulted in him hitting his face on some aspect of the bed frame, leaving a black eye that has his left eye almost completely swollen shut. So, yes, everyone will know right away that we are a Quality Household where things are Totally Under Control. We strive for accuracy in first impressions.