Monday, November 9, 2020

Week 377: Keep swinging

 Phew. Finally. And by that I mean, finally, a reprieve from the incessant barrage of political texts, emails, and phone calls that have been the soundtrack of the swing-state voter lifestyle these past weeks. Well, just kidding, I got one from the Ossoff campaign today, but at least the volume is way down. 

With the national news basically eclipsing everything else, it is hard to even remember where we left off. On the other hand, in these pandemic days, each week is more or less the same as the one that preceded it. The situation in Wisconsin continues to get worse instead of better, and we are just hunkering down and trying our best to stay safe. As I told a friend recently, we have reach the "grinding your own flour" phase of the pandemic, thanks to the nice grinder that Papa Bear got me for my birthday. I also made my own fermented hot sauce, as one does under these circumstances. 

The kids are continuing to cope with this strange year surprisingly well. Online school can still be a struggle, and the Zoom classes definitely wear on the attention span after a while. Still, I can see every day that the kids are learning, their literacy and math skills continue to grow. Maybe not at the pace that they would be growing in the classroom, but who can really say? This is the school year we have, there is no counterfactual. The one thing I can say with confidence is that they are happy and healthy, and that's pretty much the whole ballgame at a time like this.

We've continued with the lower amount for Lemon's tube feeds, and unsurprisingly he has lost a little weight. I am trying to remain calm and give it some more time. He had plenty of weight to lose, being in the 90th percentile for BMI when we began the experiment. So, even a few pounds lighter, he is still by no means light. I'm hoping he'll settle into a new groove, but we will continue to monitor it and if he dips too low, we can always go back up on the volume. It does feel a bit weird letting him lose weight going into a winter, but I'll give it til the end of the month and then reassess.

We are still supposed to go back to Children's hospital to have blood drawn at some point, but honestly the idea of going near the hospital right now sounds terrible, so I think we will continue to wait. We haven't received any calls about the new clinical study that Lemon consented to participate in, so I wonder if they decided it was just to high risk to proceed at the moment. Waiting is fine with me on that one as well. 

And that's kind of the way of it for now. Wait, bide time, stay home. We've enjoyed this last bit of warm weather, a quick reprieve before winter sets in for good. The sunset at 5pm does feel rather ominous, but we'll get through it somehow I'm sure.