Monday, September 28, 2020

Week 371: Immune

 Well, flu season is around the corner. So, it is time to remind everyone to get their flu shots. Get your flu shot! Yes, you, even if you are doing social distancing and masking and all that. I, like many others I am sure, received automated messages from our healthcare providers with more or less that message. And, being a conscientious CF parent, as soon as the message came in, I got on the phone to the kids' pediatrician's office to schedule them. I gave their last name, their first names, their birth dates, confirmed my address, my phone number, etc etc. And then the scheduler paused as she scrolled through the calendar. And paused some more. And then said, "You're not going to like this. The first date I can do both kids is December 3rd. Otherwise, you can go to the online system and schedule them there." 

She was certainly correct that I had no intention of waiting til December 3rd for flu shots (which their own email says I am supposed to get as soon as possible). Unfortunately, for our kids, "as soon as possible" appears to mean two separate days during the second week of October, at two different clinics, one near our house and one across town. Because obviously that makes complete sense and is very convenient. I have to tell you, this experience does not fill me with tremendous hope for any forthcoming mass-vaccination efforts that may involve two shots given some number of weeks apart.

In other news, Lemon was having some trouble with his vest during his treatment this morning, it wouldn't stay in quite the right position. When I was called in to see what the matter was, it became obvious immediately that he had completely outgrown it! Not that this should be a surprise, since all his favorite T-shirts are also too short and too tight, but it is kind of impressive that we failed to notice him outgrowing his vest so completely. So, this morning I got on the phone with the good people of Respirtech and a new one the next size up should be arriving soon. Now if only the new compressor for his nebulized meds that I'd ordered 3 months ago and that was back-ordered "6 weeks" would ever show up, we'd really be in business.

Other than that, virtual school continues to roll along. I got an absurd email from the school district last week noting that the first quarter is done sometime next month (what?!?) and wanting me to express my preference for fully virtual vs. hybrid for the next quarter. Excuse me, I'm sure you had the email drafted weeks ago, but have you noticed how there is an epidemic literally raging out of control in our state right now? My preference (which is to remain fully virtual anyhow) is totally irrelevant! There is no way the schools can open for the second quarter no matter what anyone wants. Anyhow. Please stay safe, everybody. The next few months will not be easy.