Monday, May 11, 2020

Week 351: Mother's Day

I've always felt like one of the great certainties about motherhood is that you never know exactly what is coming next. None of us would have thought at Mother's Day last year that this is how things would be at Mother's Day this year. And yet, here we are. As ever, parenting in unanticipated circumstances.

And, to be clear, we have nothing to complain about. Another somewhat chaotic and haphazard work week has gone by. The kids continue to be very happy, healthy, and full of life. I was even able to celebrate with my own mother, which is certainly a treat not to be taken lightly in these quarantine days. I received a whole bunch of books, so I now have enough new recipes and origami models to keep me going through at least another few months of this, should the need arise.

The one thing that I found completely hilarious this week is that I have received a number of notifications that there is no school on Wednesday. I have thus far managed not to write back to ask how I should detect that this particular Wednesday differs from all of the Wednesdays of the recent past. Whereas in times gone by, a random weekday with no school would have been something of a minor crisis, in the present state of affairs, it is, well, just Wednesday.