Monday, November 5, 2018

Week 272: Back to where you once belonged

I am back. In perhaps the most insane travel period of my post-kids life, I spent the night in each of the 4 time zones in the contiguous 48 states within a one-week period. San Diego, Denver, Madison, Indianapolis. I am done. No more traveling for a while. Papa Bear has been an absolute rock during all this insanity, but his reserves are pretty much tapped out, and the kids are definitely feeling like they need there mom around more. And I for one am done with being on the road and in hotels and all that. Not that it hasn't all been fun, spending a bunch of face-to-face time with my coworkers and having an absolute blast at the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon with my ace marathoning buddy, but man I am ready to just be HOME. Also I ran an all-time best of 3:43 an my legs are tired.






In spite of all of my gallivanting around, things seem to have held together on the home front reasonably well. All of the boys seem to have had a cold of varying degrees of severity, but Lime is almost completely well again, Lemon is very congested but otherwise in fine spirits, and Papa Bear is thoroughly exhausted but may yet pull through. The cats are still present, if slightly starved for attention.






One interesting development that appears to have taken place is the onset of some nutrition lessons at Lemon's school. When I got back from Indianapolis on Sunday, I took the kids grocery shopping, and asked Lemon if there was anything he wanted me to get for him for his lunches. He informed me that he wasn't going to drink juice boxes anymore, because juice was bad for his teeth. He also said that he was done with chips, since they are not healthy. But, juice and chips are the only things he reliably consumes during the day, and we need every calorie! I totally appreciate the overall intent, but I feel like some recognition of the fact that everyone has different dietary needs might also be in order. After all, in spite of the juice and the chips and the tube feeds, we are still pounds away from where we were before school started, and we're desperate to regain every ounce. Fortunately school conferences are coming up in a couple of weeks so I'll have a good opportunity to discuss with Lemon's teacher.

Speaking of discussions with Lemon's teacher, I have noticed that it is now November, and back in July we thought we were going to have a meeting about Lemon's 504 plan in October. I guess that ship has sailed, but I suppose now that I am actually here for a couple of months I should try to get something on the calendar before the end of the year.

Finally, I know you all have had it coming at you from every possible direction already, but the midterm elections are tomorrow. VOTE.