Monday, August 6, 2018

Week 259: Itsy bitsy

Little Lime had his 3-year-old check up this week. Result: still tiny. He is in the 12th percentile for weight, and the 7th for height. At first they thought his height had fallen off the curve, but it actually turns out he is less than cooperative at having his height measured standing up, so we measured him again lying down and stretching him out as much as possible, and that was enough to get us out of trouble. Other than that, the doctor said he looked great, and made the shocking assessment (based on observation of behavior and a quick bruise/scrape count) that he seems "very active." Yeah, you're telling me. You should see my house.










Today we had Lemon's second-to-last session of food school. I can't quite believe that the end is in sight on this journey, but the planets have definitely aligned. Over the weekend he tried/ate such a wide variety of foods that I was kind of in shock: tortellini with pesto, pastrami, artichoke with garlic butter. We also decided to try giving up the morning bolus feed and do ~150 calories by mouth. I think we're actually doing pretty well in that respect. Lemon will reliably drink 6-8oz whole milk with his enzymes in the morning. I've resorted to some of our old pre-g-tube tricks to give that a little boost, adding some heavy cream or Ovaltine powder. He also likes to have a snack in the car on the ride to summer camp every morning, which is why the inside of my car resembles an up-ended bird feeder. But, hey, if he gets in another 100 calories in trail mix along the way, I can deal with vacuuming up a few raisins.


I can't quite believe how fast fall is coming up. Next week is the last week of camp, and then we head into a couple of weeks of family visits and other fun stuff before school starts. In preparation for all this, I printed out the school supply list for Lemon's school and started buying some of the stuff. And, I 100% support education and I am fortunate enough not to have to worry about the cost of the supplies, and I get that it's for the whole year, but I have to say I am shocked by the quantities. Five boxes of markers? 36 glue sticks? Times 20 kids? What are they going to do with 1000 markers? Glue them together I guess? I realize my particular child may not be representative, but I would be surprised if he's had the attention span to use up one marker and one glue stick in his entire life. I suppose the hope is that kindergarten will change this? In any event, some of the items on the list were categorized as "wish" items, not required ones, and I decided that I will make it my personal mission to make sure the classroom never runs out of the school supplies that I care most about: Clorox wipes, tissues, and hand sanitizer. Given the consumption rates that I'm extrapolating from the other supplies, I'd better get back to Target to pick up several hundred units of each.