Monday, July 23, 2018

Week 257: Crane bird

Funnily enough, the most dramatic event of the week occurred late this afternoon, as we were heading home from the playground at our local elementary school. We walked right up to a sandhill crane. I told the kids that it was a crane, and they looked at me like I was insane, because, duh, a crane is a truck. I told them that there was also a kind of bird called a crane, and that was it. Lime pointed out that it was not a crane because it could not lift things. After some thought, Lemon conceded that it was a "crane bird," but the stand-alone title of "crane" appears to be reserved for truck or tower cranes, not feathered things.

















At food school today, I told Lemon's food school teacher that we had opted not to enroll in either group or individual therapy for the coming session. Even though she'd written that he was recommended for either (or both) of these options on his form for the upcoming session, she said that she thought that was a totally appropriate choice for him, given that he's shown that he can apply what he's learned at food school to eating in other settings. That does beg the question of why "nothing" wasn't an option listed on his form (although I suppose they don't earn any more money for recommending "nothing"). So, that leaves us with just 4 sessions of food school remaining. I feel like we're leaving it in a good place, and they will put our status as "on hold," in case we decide that we need to come back for some refresher sessions later on.



Frighteningly enough, it appears that we have arrived at the time of summer during which preparation for the next school year gets underway. I just filled out a stack of papers for Lime's preschool, and tomorrow I'm meeting with Lemon's kindergarten teacher for next year (shhh, readers in our school district, I'm not supposed to let on that I know who he will have).The fact that I'm meeting her tomorrow reminded me that I should actually at least look at the packet that the CF center gave me about CF in schools. Of course the first hospital folder I found contained the discharge information from when Lemon was admitted to the hospital in October of 2016 (no, I am not behind on organizing/cleaning out papers), but eventually I did find the identical folder with the school stuff inside. I guess I would describe it as mildly helpful, but a little dated-sounding. In any case, I think I'll stick to talking tomorrow, and then if the teacher wants any written stuff I might write something myself...because of course.


Also this past week I was so lucky to get together with some dear friends that I hadn't seen in over 3 years (anyone remember our famous trip to Hawaii way back in Week 79?) who were in Illinois for a wedding, and another of my oldest and bestest buddies who was in Madison for a family reunion. In summary, everyone should come to the Midwest MUCH MORE FREQUENTLY. I miss you all so much! What a treat to see so many of you in this hectic month of July. Have I mentioned that summer in Wisconsin is lovely? And it's over in something like 10 days I think...