Monday, April 16, 2018

Week 243: Pooptastic

This past week I bit the bullet and made a bunch of plans for the kids' summer. I'd found a summer camp program that sounded good for them, but hemmed and hawed about it for a while because it was a little farther from our house than I would ideally like, and they need the kids to be fully toilet trained, and I hadn't heard back from them about whether they'd be comfortable giving Lemon his enzymes. But, eventually, I decided I had to either decide or have it be decided for me by all the spots filling up, so I signed us up.










The logical follow-up was to toilet train Lime, which we decided to take on this weekend. I have to say, Lime has really risen to the occasion. He was so thrilled about his undies that he more or less got the hang of matters right away, and with a lot of praise, bribes, and general encouragement has so far managed to keep accidents to a minimum. I even sent him to school in undies this morning, and he returned from school wearing the same pants as when he left the house. Success! I don't attribute this to any particular toilet-training skills on the part of myself and Papa Bear, just that Lime was more or less ready and we showed him the way. So, that's handled. Next up, I will visit the school and talk to them about enzymes and whatever else we need to arrange. But, that is a task for some other week.






After much hesitation, I also decided to sign Lemon up for food school during the summer session. I definitely feel like we've hit a plateau. He's acquired a bunch of skills, which he either chooses to apply or not as he sees fit. He still doesn't eat much, and isn't generally interested in eating or food at all. He's happy to do things at food school to please his teacher, but that still doesn't translate over into what he does at home. And, I think his teacher's noticing the plateau as well. She's trying some new things as well, but the report that I get after each lesson is about the same. So, this may just be what we can accomplish at this time in Lemon's life. But, I didn't feel right about not giving him a few more months. Once kindergarten starts in the fall, there is no way we can do food school anymore, so I felt like it was important to give him this last opportunity to pick up anything else he could possibly learn before we launch him into the world of elementary school.

 Health-wise, things seem to be good at the moment. Of course, even with a short illness, Lemon lost a pound or so, but I think we've got it back on him now. He's been off Cayston for a week and has stayed at baseline, so it seems like the two-week course was enough. Before it snowed, we were thinking that spring was imminent so we went ahead and activated our spring allergy protocol (Zyrtec once per day, increase Flovent to twice per day), so I guess at least we'll be ready if/when the snow ever melts and things start blooming.

Other than that, I'm nearly done with my next set of articles for the CF Foundation's website, which means that soon I won't be able to procrastinate any longer and will actually have to get going on fund-raising for our Great Strides walk...I'll start as soon as it actually looks like spring around here!