Monday, July 11, 2016

Week 151: Baby no more

It is hard to believe, but yesterday was Lime's first birthday.  What a year we've had since he was born.  As I look back on it, I think that yes, in some ways, having a baby during this past year did make things harder.  Sometimes much harder.  But, having a baby along on this wild ride made things, if not easier in absolute terms, easier to bear.  Lime has been a constant joy, a delight, and a comfort to me.  I don't know how I would have gotten through the year without him.  I am thrilled by how fast he is growing, how quickly he's becoming his own little person, how close he is to walking.  And I'm slightly heartbroken that I soon won't have a baby anymore.


















We celebrated this milestone with Uncle Jared and Auntie Lauren, who came to visit from New York.  It gave Lime's first year a nice symmetry, since Uncle Jared was also here in town exactly a year ago, when Lime entered the world.  We shared a few nice meals, and of course, some birthday cake.  We even captured a semi-decent family photo, to compliment the accurate but less frame-worthy one Papa Bear snapped a few days earlier.




 This birthday means that we're just a few weeks shy of the end of what I refer to in my mind as the 0/2 year.  Uncle Jared asked  me over dinner one night if I thought that this would be the hardest year for our family.  I have to say I honestly have no idea.  I have long since given up even the pretense of making predictions about the future.  I hope that the next year is filled with love and health for both of my boys, and I will do everything in my power to make that happen. And beyond that, we'll just have to take it as it comes.