Monday, May 12, 2014

Week 38: Mother's Day

Another week of glorious weather out here on the edge of the prairie.  So gorgeous, in fact, that I took a quilt out in our back yard, where Lemon encountered grass for the first time:
The next thing he did (not shown in the video) was to try to put the lawn in his mouth.  Luckily for him, I am fiercely opposed to the use of lawn chemicals, on the grounds that lawn chemicals cause the grass to grow, which causes me to have to mow it.  I did mow our lawn for the first time this weekend, and to the extent that I can keep the amount of time dedicated to that particular household chore to a minimum, I will!

On the indoor front, our new living room sofa was finally delivered, which means when all of you come to visit (and we can't wait until you do!) you will have somewhere to sit.  We got a new recliner as well, but you'll have to discuss with Papa Bear as to whether or not you are permitted to sit there.


Lemon is continuing to get better and better at "army crawling," and the cats are scouring the house for new places to hide where they can be assured of napping in relative peace.

My first Mother's Day was great.  We had a special breakfast at home (OK, I made it myself, but that's just because no one else in the house has yet developed the particular skill set required to make crepes with rhubarb compote and whipped cream), I went for a run, a plumber cut a hole in the wall of our bedroom (don't ask), and had a cold beer on the sun porch with Papa Bear after Lemon went to bed.  Really, what more could you ask for?















As it happens, I would like to ask all of you for one more thing.  I've decided to make a new annual tradition of participating in the Wisconsin edition of the CF Cycle for Life, which is taking place on June 1.  Our team is small this year, because we don't really know anyone here yet, but I hope that over the years to come we will grow into the biggest team on the ride, and also become the top fund raisers.  So, in the spirit of Mother's day, I'd like to ask you to make a donation of any size in Lemon's honor by clicking here.  Your donation will support the life-saving efforts of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, which is dedicated to finding a cure for the disease that will shorten Lemon's life dramatically unless we take action now.  I want the same things for Lemon that I know every mother wants for her child--a long, happy, healthy life.  Right now the odds are stacked against us, but you can help change that.