Monday, October 14, 2019

Week 321: Counting by zeros

It's good to be home. Although I was traveling on my actual birthday, we managed to have a very nice birthday observed once I got back, and hard on its heels, our 9th wedding anniversary. So, lots to celebrate. I received a very nice new vacuum cleaner to replace the one that was no longer quite up to the task of cleaning up after certain other residents of my house, as well as many nice books and a few other little luxuries.











I feel like Lemon may finally be hitting his stride on first grade. I haven't heard anything further from his teacher, and his behavior at home has improved considerably. Our new nanny continues to show up and the kids continue to like her, so I'm sure that helps as well. Not to mention how good it is for my sanity to have many days in a row of reliable childcare.


















Lemon has made pretty remarkable strides with his reading in the last couple of weeks. Which reminded me that when he was a toddler, he would go through periods of being rather more difficult whenever he was on the cusp of some developmental breakthrough. So I kind of wonder if that was part of what was going on here. Because this afternoon he came home from school and curled up peacefully in a chair to read for over an hour--not just look at the pictures, but really read the words and try to sound out the ones he didn't know. Whose child is this, anyhow? I'll take it.

Then there was the lingering issue of Lemon's cough. I have another work trip coming up in a week, so I looked at the calendar and realized that if we were going to squeeze in 10 days of Cayston in between trips, we'd better start on Friday. Lemon was still coughing so I went ahead and got out all the Cayston stuff and sterilized it. And then, he started coughing less. Of course. So, after some consideration, we decided to hold off for now. It just didn't seem to make sense to launch into a course of Cayston on a kid who wasn't coughing that much, and who was keeping his tube feeds down. So, we'll see. He's still not at what I would consider summer baseline, but we may have to accept that we're in the part of the year where winter baseline (a little cough, especially in the morning) may be as good as it's going to get. We also restarted Zyrtec on the theory that he might still be allergic to something, and that may have helped a bit as well. As above, whatever it is, I'll take it!