Monday, September 18, 2017

Week 213: The unexpected

Parenting keeps you on your toes, no doubt about that. Just when you think you have something figured out or know what to expect, you discover that you were, in fact, wrong. Take, for example, what I had always imagined would be true about sleeping. I had a notion that I would perhaps not sleep ideally well while pregnant. I had also heard repeatedly that infants do not sleep at convenient times. And I had heard that sleeping through the night was not an event, but rather a process, and that the process would be considered to be well under way when the child performed the miraculous feat of sleeping from 11pm until 5am. But, in all the things I'd heard about sleeping, I did not hear messages about not sleeping when a child was say 2 years old. Or 4 years old for that matter. Perhaps the people who preceded me into parenthood realized that the survival of the species was contingent on them remaining silent on these points.



Well, I am now sufficiently sleep deprived to let you in on a secret from the land of having a two year old and a four year old: I have not slept until (not past; UNTIL) 5 a.m. more than 5 times since June. And it is starting to take its toll. To a very large extent, this state of affairs has been driven by Lime and his accursed molars, two of which remain lost but not forgotten somewhere in his upper jaw. He is gnawing and drooling as though his life depends on it, and still no teeth. These past few days, though, Lemon has realized that now there are things happening in our house at 4am, and being loathe to miss out on any action, has decided that he too must take part. I'm glad I have so many of the kids' favorite books memorized, as that makes it much easier to read them with my eyes closed...





Through all the exhaustion, though, the kids still find ways to make it worth it. For instance, today at food school, Lemon had a semi-accident (made it to the bathroom, but not quite soon enough or with enough control). So, when we got home, he had to change clothes. He's been able to get out of his own bottoms for a long time, but still kind of struggles with shirts. So, he slipped off the wet bottoms, refused my help with the shirt, and then, with the shirt off of his body but still stuck around his head like a turban, and without a trace of irony, he announced "See how grown up I am now?"

So, yes, my love is unconditional. I still find that whole scenario hilarious. But, just in case the kids are reading the blog, I will also emphasize that my love would still be unconditional, and I would still find them hilarious, if they slept until the decadently late hour of say 5:30. Also, I do not hesitate to point out that if they keep up their current routine after the clocks fall back an hour, they will have to start sleeping in the garage.